Friday, February 1, 2008

Just Might Be OK

So let me tell you about my yesterday:

I woke up around 10 AM feeling unusually angry and I wasn't 100% sure why. That only lasted for about ten seconds though, because I realized that Lupe was coming to town, and that life's good...


Let me give you some background on information on my whole "Lupe concert" situation. I've known about it and the fact that tickets were online for $28 for at least two months. But due to unpaid parking tickets that demanded immediate attention, and a birth defect I have called procrastination, I was unable to purchase a ticket before the show was sold out. Though a little disappointed about that, it wasn't too bad because the official afterparty (which Lupe and his crew would be attending) was going to be at my big brother Don's store, Pedestrian.


...Still with me? Ok, so I'm feeling kinda good about life now. So I proceeded to carry on with my usual morning routine: turned some music on, sat on the edge of my bed and wondered how the hell my room got so messy and how long I could go without cleaning it, layed back down, got up again, then went to my laptop to do my morning blog reading (check out my "Respected Blogs" section; I go to each of them every morning).


As I'm reading through people's blogs, I get a call from Mr. Donovan himself. Apparently, a friend of his thought that they may not be able to make it to the concert and would have to give up their ticket. Insert excitement 'HERE'.To make a long story short, they didn't physically have a ticket. Their name was on the guest list and they had to show id to get in.


So that was a blower, but life goes on. Later in the day, I'd say around 3PM, I'm chilling with Don and he tells me that the afterparty at Pedestrian has been cancelled. I'm not going to go into details why, but let me just say I'm not the only one plagued with procrastination. But now I'm extra upset because not only am I not going to be able to see Lupe at all, I started getting sick.


Anyway, I go to class, get out around 8PM, and VJ is blowin' me up talking about come pick him up from his house. I'm feeling under the weather and more than let down so I would've been just fine with going to sleep, but VJ was hell-bent on going to South St., where all the people who were going to see Lupe were, while we stood outside... and watched them go in? I still don't understand the logic behind that one, but I'm happy that we did.


We get to South St. around 9:00, and most of those who were going to see Lupe are are inside already. As I'm texting Donovan and Whitney who are inside already, trying my best to live vicariously through them, VJ decides we should stop by the party at the Adidas store for a couple of minutes, then proceed to loaf outside the concert... in the cold.


Pay attention! This is the part where the world turns upside down...

As we're loafing, I go across the street to get some french fries from Ishkabibbles. When I get back, I notice that VJ and the lady working security keep shooting glances at eachother. I had given up hope by that time so I didn't really care, but then they start talking to eachother like they're childhood friends. And then the unthinkable happened... She mouths to VJ "Is it just you?". He shakes his head and points to me, then she tells us to come in and let the brolic gentlemen pat us down.


Next thing I know, we're in the concert which, to my surprise, hadn't even started yet! The first thing I did was call Don and Whitney to see where they were, then VJ starts leading me through the crowd of sneakerheads and streetwear kids, all looking at us like we're out our monkey a** minds.
The story ends with me having the most unplanned day ever, attending my second free Lupe concert in two years (both of which I would've put up big bread for), and me confirming my theory that I have some of the best friends ever.

Shout out to VJ, Don, Travis, and the lovely Miss Whit.



one of my future baby's moms, miss nikki jean

(even though she spent most of her perfomance staring at Donovan)

The lady who helped me lose my vocie. And yes... Fresh2DefSheIs.

If you read this whole blog post, you're a trooper and I truly appreciate you. Now get out there and change the world.

2 the walls CAN talk:

Anonymous said...

I am so angry at this post!

OMG! You have no idea.

(thanks for the shout tho... even tho that pic of me is horrible. i had a great time losing my voice with you as well)

Madeleine said...

wish i would've even known about this concert.
::sigh::

o well i still have last years PERFECT mixture of greenery,soco, and lupe to linger on....


my boostank (lupe) looks goooooood